Wednesday, March 18, 2009

After the Tour _ Now What?

There is a lot to catch up on, work for one thing, sons surgery and planning the rest of my cycling adventure. Oh yeah...and figure out how to get BS in control.

Lets just say I have had a few set backs, one being Mint Girl Scout cookies... I love these cookies and have no control in pacing myself. BUT.... they were not involved in the next few set backs.

The weekend before the Tour de Cure, I went for a group ride with an incline. The problem was I was going to meet up with the group at a certain point closer to my house. I called the group leader that morning made arrangements, only thing was we got our wires crossed and by the second call, they were already 1/2 way up the hill. The issue was I waited 30 minutes for the group to come by while my BS began to elevate. Normally by that time, I would have been already riding and using up the carbs I had eaten for breakfast. Then to top it off, I hiked up the hill as fast as I could. When I hit the top, BS were not registering on CGM because they were too high. I eventually brought it down again, but the same thing happened today.

Normally, I ride Tues, Wed or Thurs, with some combination of 2 -3 days... I may ride all 3 days or just ride 2. Well, today not one of my alarms went off today, except my husbands, which was set 45 min after mine. I get a little stressed when this happens, especially when I have only 15 minutes to eat, get dressed, get on bike and meet up with the group by 7am. By the time I got into work today my BS were in the high 300s. I am wondering if anyone else has this type of reaction to stress or when your adrenaline gets pumping. I took 10u of humulog to get it back to normal... It was if the insulin wasn't working or I had serious issues with counting my carbs, which was 1/2 of a protein shake that I gulped down to have something to help with the insulin I had already taken.

My BS are like a roller coaster, everything seems fine and then I eat and it shoots up like a Roman Candle firework. I have never seen a trendline stay level through out the day. I am also getting challenged with allergies. My regular commutes which have been easy rides in the past have now become a struggle and my legs feel heavy. I don't know if I should just ride it out or stop and take a week long break. I am taking antihistimines as well as a decongestant along with an anti - asthma medication only for the days I ride (sports induced). Still I struggle.

I am riding again tomorrow, because it just feels so great to be outside, to ride, to be cold then hot, to roll into work after a great work out and then shower and get ready for the day ahead. My attitude becomes even more focused on possibilities instead of challenges, but when I have a morning like this morning and no amount of insulin seems to fix the problem, I worry. Eventually it all straightened out again, well at least until I ate again. Hmmm maybe I should become a breatharian and live on air, I am sure I could control my basals better than my boluses then.

Ok, good news for tonight my BS is at 139, the bad new is I just ate and it is on an upward trend. Ugh! Heading to bed for a 6:45 AM start to my ride tomorrow seems tiring given that I know I could end up with some night time highs... Guess I will take a couple units of Humulog and sleep until my lows or my CGM alarms signals me to wake up. Thankfully I still feel my lows and get woken out of a sleep with serious sweating. Makes it hard to tell the difference between a low or early onset of menopause! Ha.... ain't it all fun.

Here's hoping I get to sleep through the night and wake up on time tomorrow.

Cheers
Penny

"Quiting is never an option for a diabetic"

No comments:

Post a Comment