Friday, March 27, 2009

My Day to Vent....

Took a little hiatus from blogging or tweeting. Work has been grinding away and it fries my brain cells to a crisp. But I have been riding, just at a more casual pace, because I now realize how much stress plays a factor in hitting the wall.

Since the Tour de Cure, I have been riding and riding and riding. Last weekend I just couldn't ride any more, partially because my son was sick with a very high fever. As it turns out he is recovering and by Wed I was riding in to work again. Gotta tell ya though Thurs ride into work was a bitch! High, high winds where I was almost knocked off my bike. This is the time when I begin to hate to ride, but at the same time was curious about riding through it all

Well, I did arrive home safe and sound but something about the drivers that day had me a bit concerned. The drivers were aggressive. I guess I don't get why folks in cars think they have something to prove by running cyclists off the road. It baffles me to think that someone in a 4k - 6k lb piece of metal or plastic feels the need to intimidate folks who are driving a vehicle of less then 20lbs. Three times this week, I have seen serious inferiority complexes at play. A few weeks ago, I had a guy in his big Chevy truck, veer over into the bike lane where his passenger side rear view mirror brushed my shoulder. We were both taking off from red light and I guess he didn't like that I rode up in front of his tiny truck... Seriously You Tarzan, me what... Jane??? Such a big man.

So why are cyclists considered such a threat? Hmm let me think, we make better car drivers because we are constantly riding (on our bikes) defensively to protect ourselves from poor drivers, we value diversity, we value the outdoors, Ohh and we value our freedom! Hmmm, sounds threatening to me and ohh sooooo un-American by powering our bikes with local produce...
(Okay you may need to think about that one for a minute...)

Okay - Gripe session 1 is over......
Thanks for listening, I feel a ton better.
Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment