Thursday, April 9, 2009

Are allergies affecting your cycling too?

Have you ever had a day where your legs don't seem to work, your breathing seems labored and your strength seems zapped? That has been my day, this whole month. I keep getting out on my bike but every time seems worse then the time before. I started back to spinning classes thinking I needed the aerobic workout to improve my endurance. I also took the fitness heart rate stress test, which looks excellent. However, I keep waiting for riding to get easier with big gains.

Spring in the desert is killer for me, allergies are the worst and everything related to oxygen is restricted. I now realize if I want to train, it may not be ideal in Tucson. Given this is where I live and work, not sure how to get around this. I am already on the decongestants, antihistamines, nasal spray and allergy eye drops. Oh yeah also on the asthma medication for the breathing part. Now is when I can't help but wonder if riding is going to be something I can do through the summer.

The hard part for me is I never know if I am over-training or if I just need to ride through it all no matter what the pace or cadence. I look forward to riding, but sometimes there are blocks of days I just can't move. I would really like to have fewer days like this and move back into the days where I raced to beat the lights or other cyclists who are testing their own speed and capabilities.

Now, I am hoping my riding buddies are going to keep me on my bike. The more folks who ride into work or on the group rides, the more likely I will stay on my bike and keep plugging along.
I hope this passes soon, I hate feeling soo tired...

No comments:

Post a Comment