Sunday, March 8, 2009

Riding in the Tour de Cure



First I want to thank everyone for their support, so many people contributed their time and money, without this support I would have never done this ride. I met all my goals, I raised $2840, I earned my Diabetes Victory Jacket, I rode the Tour de Cure in a Red Rider Jersey, I improved my time, I made new friends including other Type 1 Diabetics and I rode the Tour with really great friends, (ah Priceless). Talk about a successful event.

All good things are not without some challenges and this ride had a few. First, it was not the best of conditions but it could have been much worse. We had a lot of wind and the morning chill felt like winter all over again. I followed my morning ride routine and ate 3 pancakes, Tbs of almond butter with a special treat, my husband made me coffee. Ahh heaven! Took 3.5 units of Humalog and set my alarm for 7 am to remind me to take my Levamir while on the road to the Tour. My support friends and I met around 6:15 am then headed to the ride location about 45 min away in Rancho Sahuarita.

Arrived at the site, took 4 units of levimir, which was less than planned, but it was all that was left in my pen. (Note to self: make sure you have enough supply of insulin when leaving the house). As we were unloading the bikes, we quickly realized how cold the day was going to be. Glad I wore my riding pants, arm warmers, jersey, head band, gloves and jacket. I kept most of all this on until about the 40 mile marker. I was at the start when I realized my BS were very high, ~288. I kept thinking I should take a shot. BS stayed high up until the 20 mile mark(first rest stop) when it began to go down, and down and down. It was looking good as my goal was to remain at 152 for the majority of the ride. I stayed above 160 most of the way through.

The 2nd 20 - 30 miles were the most difficult, an 8 mile climb up Mt Hopkins. Ugh! It felt like it would never end. This is where my legs started burning and my back went into small spasms.
Even one of my experienced support riders, Gary, said "This isn't fun!" but we pushed on. I just new if I made it to the top of the hill I would feel great. I did, a little fatigued, but great. Great support at the top of Mt Hopkins with Ibuprofen for the spasms and 2 Girlscout Cookies for the spirit. I also finished my PB&J and my first bottle of perpetuem. We were ready to head down when another Type 1 asked me if I was 'Penny' from the Trek Bikes of Tucson website.
We talked for a few and then it was off to finish what we started, even though I knew one of my support friends had been cussing at me the whole way up, I couldn't hear her but I knew. Soo in all fairness, she is not a big fan of hills in general and I know the main reason she was there was for me. So Colleen, a big shout out to you and your continued support no matter what I put you through. Steve and Richard, awsome job pacing and keeping us moving forward. Mary thank you for your lifetime of friendship, support, perseverance and 'Can do' attitude. My husband, Tabot, and daughter, Sedona, were at the last rest stop to cheer us on. It was great to see them ringing bells and yelling. Wow! I truly am blessed.

Anyway, we headed to the back 25 which was not so bad, a nice downhill ride, hitting high speeds and nice coasting. We kept a nice pace, but I had kept the group a little long at the first two rests, almost 45 min total, too long. When we rolled into the finish the festivities for the most part were over. The good news, I cut off 2 hours from the first time I rode 60 miles :) and BS were not my worry. Very nice to have the Dexcom 7 to manage my BS trends. This along with some alarms I set on my watch, I was able to time my food intake and water.

All in all, it was a great ride, with great wonderful friends and family. I look forward to riding next years Tour de Cure!

No comments:

Post a Comment