Saturday, February 28, 2009

A Saturday Ride with a nice Surprise!

The day started with a great blood sugar of 152, I dropped my Levamir 2 units (8 instead of 10), I ate my 4 rice pancakes, a tbsp of almond butter and 1/2 of a banana. Took 4 units of humalog via a pen and headed out. I was to meet the gang at 8:30 am. All was in place and I was waiting at 8:15, ready to hit the road as soon as I saw the pack come up in traffic. Well, 8:45 went by and I began to call. Unfortunately we had a disconnect in the communication the grp was a mile ahead of me on a hill and a lot faster.

Unfortunately the delay in riding and then heading up a hill climb first thing got my BS rising.
By the time I was halfway up the hill my continuous monitor was shouting at me that my BS was too high to read. Odd thing was I felt fine. I didn't feel like I was in the over 500 range. I stopped took 2 units of humalog and met up with the group at the top of the hill. Wow over 20 people were waiting and I was out of breath. The original plan was to go 50 miles, but given BS were out of control I opted for a shorter ~ 35 mile ride. I felt good riding after the first 40 minutes, but up to that point I wasn't sure if I should ride or go home. Fortunately, I have a few cyclists who support me and ride with me no matter how it is going. I checked my blood sugar at Sabino Canyon and found that my BS was in the low 200s, not the 'High' that my CGM was reading. My readings seem to be so far apart sometimes even though I calibrate my meter 2 - 3 times a day. Wonder if anyone else has theses types of problems? Anyway, I was glad to know it was at 200 and that my insulin on board would eventualy catch up, which it did. So I forged on.

Three of us took the shorter route and two of us, Colleen and myself headed for coffee by UofA.
That is where the big surprised happened. Colleen and I were outside having coffee when I realized all the Shootout Cyclist were returning from the Sat ride and who should be at the front... but Phil Southerland, Team Type 1, founder and racer who is training in Tucson after racing in the Tour de California. I have been following his twitter since I saw him ride in the Tour de California. Would love to talk with him and learn how he manages BS through all his travels and rides.

Re-invigorated, I went back up First Ave, to take on the hill one more time before heading home.
It was a great ride and BS evened out. I ended my ride at the Trek store to get some advice on my seat. When I ride over 30 - 40 miles, I start to get a lot of pain. Let's just say, Heather, a female pro rider, was very very helpful! :) Plus she had some ideas on managing my BS and food intake as I have been a little worried about the Tour de Cure 100K ride next Sunday. We discussed how food metabolizes and I will need to plan ahead when to eat, eating when hungry is too late. Ex: Is a hill climb coming up? When was the last time I ate or drank carbs?? Do I have enough resources to finish the ride? Eating halfway into the race is too late to reap the benefits. So it sounds like I should eat up front while maintaining carb intake throughout.

All in all it was a great day for a ride!
(sorry I need to get some more pictures, would have been great to post one with the Team Type 1 riders today, I even had my ADA Jacket on!) More pics to come

No comments:

Post a Comment