Saturday, February 14, 2009

What is up with Trek Bikes and TBOT


I am constantly asked what is up with my fascination with Trek bikes and the Trek Bikes of Tucson shop (photo of owners Dave and Candice with lil Gwen). I was even asked if my husband owned the store, since I have 3 Trek bikes. That's just my bikes, my husband also rides a Trek 820 MT bike.

First let me just say, I have been a Trek bike owner for over 30 years. Good things happen when I am on my Trek bikes. My first bike was a used Trek multi-track hybrid. I love that bike and I ride it for my casual rides and loan it out to anyone who wants to start riding. Then I took up spinning and after 2 years began talking about hitting the road. I just knew that my hybrid wouldn't get me where I wanted to go...then my second Trek bike came to me via a friend, Roger, who gave it to me for as long as I wanted to ride. That is when I met Candice from TBOT (Trek Bikes of Tucson). The world of cycling was opened up to me because of these two generous individuals.

But that is just the start of the story...
Candice of TBOT, a Pro Racer on sabbatical, spent her personal time away from her new baby to teach me about riding, she started slow and allowed me to get my own groove as I learned how to ride and figure out the impact on my diabetes. We stopped frequently and drank recovery specialty coffee drinks often.

I spent time in the shop talking to Steve about wanting a new bike and Heather about getting the perfect seat to fit my butt...(LOL). Duncan a source of information, spent endless hours talking to me about commuting, panniers and getting the right size bike. One thing I am impressed with is over and over again, the professionalism, the expertise and in general the experience each person I talked to possessed. You see for months I talked to these folks without making hardly any purchases except for tubes, tune up and goo!

They are a team of professionals that love the sport and love it when anyone wants to ride. After only riding for 3 - 4 months I mentioned to Candice and Steve, that I wanted to ride across America for Diabetes and Muscular Dystrophy. Expecting some sarcasm, I was waiting for them to somewhat brush over what I said. Instead, Candice told me I could absolutely do it and also said that Steve had contacts on the East Coast who had done the ride multiple times. Steve spent even more time to talk with me about the right bike for this type of tour. Then, I ran into a Tucsonan who had done the ride a year before. Good things just keep happening.

Today was no different. Yesterday, I acquired a new Dexcom Continuous Monitor and today I went on my first ride with new found freedom. I decided to stop by the Trek Shop on my way home to get some ideas on how to mount the Dexcom on my bike during my rides so I could monitor my blood sugars with a touch of a fingertip. James, one of the great mechanics, figured out an easy way to do this without additional cost.

I have had nothing but encouragement all the way from real Pros and cycling enthusiasts at TBOT, so why do I always go back, well, wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment