Saturday, February 28, 2009

Tough Week in Traveling with Dexcom

Not sleeping well, traveled to Silicon Valley, airport issues and only one day of riding. All this contributed to sporadic blood sugars and frustration throughout the week.

While I was on the road this week and only having been on the Dexcom Continuous Monitor for 2 weeks, I was not sure how it should all work when going through the airport. In Tucson's airport it all went fine. I requested a pat down so I would not take the receiver or the transmitter through the metal detectors. Everyone was very cooperative and friendly. Once on the plane, it was smooth sailing through the first day.

The second day was interesting, beginning with heading into work and the company's buildings (11 in all) which are all wireless. I set up my laptop to begin to take advantage of the site's state of the art technology as well as the culinary specialties... Well, the culinary specialties started the rise in BS but it was the wireless environment that interrupted my readings getting recorded on my Dexcom. Not sure why, but hardly any reading recorded throughout the day. So, I spent the day testing and taking alot of shots. I was trying to be discrete but the insulin pens still draw attention especially when I was using it every hour or so. It drew some attention and questions. Most folks didn't realize I was diabetic and they were surprised given my level of fitness (not pro but fit). If they only new how frustrated I was during this point in time.

Well, the saga continues... As I headed to the airport, I asked again to get a pat down. One of the security assistants told me to wait, which I did. He then told me to walk through the metal detector which I thought for some reason he turned off. Well he didn't but what he did do is call for a female assist. Great... Well at this time my Dexcom did not provide any readings that night and throughout the following day, until I changed my sensor.

Word to other Diabetics, not sure if this is typical but Dexcom Tech Support recommended I not go through the metal detector unless absolutely necessary. I never had a problem with my pump at the airport but it wasn't wireless like the CGM. To make it worse, airport security was not familiar with the continuous monitor like they were with my pump. Need to get cards made by Dexcom to explain the CGM and how airport security should handle the situation.

Until the next post,
Stay well, stay happy, stay healthy

No comments:

Post a Comment