Saturday, February 14, 2009

First Ride with Dexcom Continuous Monitor




Today's Ride Was Phenomenal! I was excited to do a climb ride today (41 miles round trip), not because I am a strong climber, but for the first time I was riding with a tool that could tell me what was happening with my blood sugars every two minutes. I was able to push to my ability to climb as hard as I could and push myself to see where I needed work.

It was the first time, I kept an avg pace over 15 mph, my first goal for this year. I wanted to at least keep within eye distance of the front of our group. I not only did that, but I actually took the lead a few times, again not because I was the fastest but because for the first time, I could take the headwind while others rested to take us home. It is hard to understand this type of excitement unless you are Diabetic or have a dependency on having the right supplies that could save your life.

I felt great on the ride, even with getting up at 3 am due to low blood sugars and correcting that, I still felt strong and ready to ride. My biggest challenge was getting my Dexom out to check it on a regular basis. I kept my Dexcom in my jacket side pocket because when it was in one of my back pockets it seemed to stop registering the readings. I was a little worried that my sweat kept the Dexcom Receiver a little fogged over, but it all seemed to workout and the receiver doesn't seem worse for the ride.

My blood sugars remained somewhere around 120 - 170 during the ride. I would check my Dexcom before any hill climb to see if I was running low or had enough onboard to make it through the next stretch. I supplemented my ride with 1 water bottle of Perpetuem and a camelback full of water with electrolytes. I drank 1/2 the Perpetuem, and 1/4 of my water. I started the day at a perfect 150 ( that is perfect for a hill ride day), ate rice pancakes and a tbs of peanut butter for breakfast, dosed 4 u for the carbs and maintained my basal rate of Levimir of 10 u. The ride BS were never a problem... It is always afterwards that recovery and maintenance become an issue for me (as evident by the picture above).

I headed home, stopped with a few riders to have some coffee, ate my 1/2 peanut butter and jelly sandwich on gluten free bread. Once home I kept drinking my water, I continued to drink my perpetuem and ate a bannana. I then ate an apple and had rice crackers, some cheese and turkey pepperoni. Every time I ate, my Dexcom would go off of being at 200 then it would come down. I have the perfect roller coaster pattern for my BS readings. Ugh!

Now that I had a great ride, I have to figure out how to have a great recovery. It is 7:30 pm at night and I am still bouncing around...

No comments:

Post a Comment